Friday, September 02, 2005

THE ARTIST SPEAKS! Cat and owl art explained! More coincidences!

An e-mail from the artist.

Visit his site here.
09/01/05

Hey Quinn,

Thanks for looking at my artwork. Are you by chance the Quinn who also used to play in Kleenex Girl Wonder with your brother? Just asking because I always liked that band. OK, so here's the story. One of my good friends and collaborators in music, art, and otherwise is named Timothy Goodwillie. Around 6 years ago as friends of
mine began getting married, I began making them wedding paintings to celebrate their union. Tim and his long term girlfriend Heather were married about two years ago and I made them the piece that you saw. I use a lot of animals in my work, so I asked both Tim and Heather which animals they would like to be. Tim chose an orange cat, and Heather chose an owl. Of course, these two animals have far more significence together, from the Owl and the Pussycat and so forth. Also you are quite right to call the piece an amulet. Although I'm not religious or superstitious I have travelled extensively through SE Asia several times and have been very influenced by the use of amulets in many of the peoples daily lives. My work was already heading in a eastern psychedelic carnival aesthetic,so working with amulets seemed very appropriate. I make a lot of artwork, far more than I can show,
despite having about 3 or 4 shows a year. If you'd like to forward links to my website to additional venues that you know of, I'd be very grateful. I have
a show opening in Lappeenrannan, Finland this month and next month I'm trying to get into a Halloween show in Santa Monica. I'll check out your bands websites. I used to be a slave to indie pop music, but recently I've been playing more experimental music with my friends Tim Goodwillie and Grant Capes. This is a totally new
thing for me, but it's been really interesting, and it's diversified my music taste. This music is anything but indie pop, but as an artist, I'm really
digging it. Most of all I love playing with friends. Our playing is not really song orientated, but we play sessions of psychedelic splendor. http://www.vxpxc.com/

So Quinn, nice to hear from you and let me know if you need a goodwillie painting. Take it easy, and please email me if your bands come through LA.

Cheers,

Justin Gabriel McInteer


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home